Palau’s Ministry of Justice (MOJ) has sent two of its top police officers to Yap in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) to help in the investigation on the sudden disappearance of two Palauan nationals.
Public Safety Director Aloysius Alonz and Fire and Rescue Chief Godwin Philip were ordered to go to Yap where Palauan nationals Pauline Francisco, also known as Pauline Elab Vames, and her six-year-old granddaughter were residing before they were reported missing since October 3, 2019.
Justice Minister and Vice President Raynold Oilouch, in an interview, said that although it has been a while since the two Palauans were reported missing, they still hope to find them alive.
Palau’s Justice Minister said that the investigators have so far not recovered anything yet that would lead them to locate the missing persons.
Aside from gathering information on the status of the investigation, Director Alonz will also give whatever assistance he could offer for the investigation, the minister said.
The minister added that the “ultimate goal” of the investigation is to be able to find the missing individuals and hope that they are still alive.
Palau, through its Ministry of State (MOS), previously sent a letter to the FSM government dated October 21, 2019 which urged the latter to continue its investigation on the case and to update the Palauan government on its progress.
The FSM government, meanwhile, responded in the affirmative and said that they will do their best for the investigation.
The Yap State Police previously conducted a five-day search operation after the two individuals were reported missing but it did not yield positive result. (Rhealyn C. Pojas)